Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Everybody Loves Vintage


Prelude to Interim (Documentary) from The Art of Re-use on Vimeo.

I never understood the concept of "thrift shopping". And to be honest, I viewed it quite negatively. Why would I want to buy second hand clothing? But after watching the video above, I had a whole new take on thrift stores and thrift shopping in general. I checked out last Art of Re-use event back in Feb at The Mascot in Toronto. There were definitely some great items, I had my eye on a duffel bag but some chick, who moved deceptively fast, snatched it before I could even get close. Seriously, if I knew she was so nimble on her feet, I would of pulled a Nancy Kerrigan. Luckily for me it didn't come to that because there were plenty of great items in the shop. I was able to pick up a blue cardigan and a brown belt. Will be posting pics in the next post, along with other gems I've found during my thrift excursions.
I'd like to thank The Art of Re-use team for everything they're doing! I'll definitely be at the next event.

The two 2 things that stand out to me the most about this concept though is the savings and the uniqueness of the items. Trust me when I tell you, finding a gem in a thrift store is the equivalent of getting what you have always wanted for Christmas. Simply because of the work you have to go through to find it. Secondly, there's a good chance no one else will have that same item. And finally, double checking the price tag to make sure your not seeing things. Yes, that pea coat is $19.

And just a warning to anyone who's new to thrift shopping....It can become an addiction, shop responsibly ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment